Sunday, May 29

Jigga what!?

It doesn't take a hip-hop head to know who Jay-Z is. One of the most recognizable artists of our time and one of the most influential rappers of the last decade, many have tried to imitate his style and none have succeeded. What if it were discovered, then, that such a well-liked and well-respected lyricist actually plagiarized his rhymes?

That's exactly what the song "I'm a Writer Not a Biter", recently released by an underground DJ, has revealed. In it, Jay-Z's lyrics are juxtaposed to those of famous names such as Slick Rick, Lil' Wayne, Cappadona, Rakim, Nas, Ma$e, Dr. Dre, the Notorious B.I.G, 2Pac and Snoop:

Biggie - "The World Is Filled"
"When the Remi's in the system, ain't no tellin will I f--- 'em will I diss em,
that's what these ho's yellin. I'm a pimp by blood, not relation.
Y'all still chase on, I'll replace on, punks Drunk of Dom."


Jay-Z - "Give It 2 Me"

"When the Remi's in the system, ain't no tellin Will I f--- 'em will I diss 'em,
that's what they be yellin. I'm a pimp by blood, not relation
Y'all be chasin, I replace them, huh? Drunk off Crist"



Dr. Dre - "On the Chronic 2001 LP"
"You get zipped up in plastic, when it happens, that's it!"

Jay-Z - "Takeover"
"Get zipped up in plastic, when it happens that's it!"


Or, most ironically:


Slick Rick - ???
"In these times, at least to me, there's a lot of rappers out there tryin' to sound like Ricky D"

Jay-Z - ???
"In these times, at least to me, there's a lot of rappers out there tryin' to sound like Jay -Z"

So, what's the deal? Is the man who's music we've all danced to a fraud or is he simply showing respect? Listen for yourself and comment on your thoughts.

Let the controversy begin...

Jay-Z - "What More Can I Say?"
"I'm not a biter, I'm a writer.
For myself and others.
I say a B.I.G. verse, I'm only biggin up my brother
Biggin up my borough.
I'm big enough to do it; I'm that thorough.
Plus I know my own flow is foolish"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home