Monday, April 18

Driving Me Crazy

I'm planning to buy a car, but the more I research, the more confused I get. I've tried to just think about things and read a few article in order to figure out which one would be the best fit, but it's getting me nowhere but frustrated. So, I've decided to do things somewhat objectively and rate the cars based upon a number of different factors and then multiply that number by how important I find that factor to be in order to come up with 'the best' car, for me.

Factors Under Consideration

Comfort - My butt, back, legs, and passengers should thank me for buying the car.
Commonness - Some like driving the same car as everybody else in the world, I don't.
Fun to Drive - I love driving. I need to make sure the car I buy doesn't kill that.
Gas - I don't want to work just so I can drive to work. Includes mileage and type.
Handling - I'm not in the market for a Hummer, so the car shouldn't handle like one.
Insurance - The more power, the more I'll pay every six months.
Look - Inside. Outside. I'd like it to be pretty.
Price - I am just a college student.
Quietness - Can't let the noise of the road interfere with my singing.
Reliability - I don't want to save money up front to pay for costly repairs later.
Ride Quality - LA roads suck; it be nice if the car made them less-so.
Safety - It'd be nice to know that the vehicle I'm driving will protect me.

Worth to Me

Like I said in the entry paragraph, I'm buying the car. I'm the one that has to drive it on a daily basis. And so I'm the one that needs to be happy with it. So, this column is to determine the value of said factor, to me. I'll use this number to give a weight to the factor so that something I don't really care much about doesn't skew the final score.

Cars I'm Evaluating

1996 - 1997 Nissan Maxima, probably the SE:





1997 Honda Accord, probably an LX:





1998 Honda Accord, probably an LX:





1998 - 1999 Nissan Altima, probably the SE:





By the Numbers

--Weight--
--96 Maxima-- --97 Accord-- --98 Accord-- --99 Altima--
Comfort*34443
Common44324
Fun*55344
Gas32444
Handling*44345
Insurance33444
Look45344
Price24424
Quiet*24454
Reliability54554
Ride*33444
Safety24343
TOTALS200157146155151
The * denotes scores based upon third party opinion. I'll update after a test drive.


4 Comments:

Blogger Nat said...

i vote volvo.

8:36 AM, April 19, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who would've thought that you would ever abandon the good ol' focus???

5:12 PM, April 19, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dan! don't buy the maxima. my mom had the exact same one you posted, and it broke down quite a few times; unreliable cars suck.

- :) ana, anna lan's friend... you know who i am!

10:52 PM, April 19, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey... I would have to go w/ Emmy.
I like the look of the Altima. :o)

11:17 PM, April 25, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home